Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Last Chance Harvey

First, an explanation of the events of last night, then my thoughts on the movie. Yesterday, classes started back up for me. I'm only taking one class this term but as soon as I was in the middle of it, I knew I had over-committed myself to projects for this year. I'm very excited about the class and I'm looking forward to developing my skills and understanding of many things from the class. However, in order to do that, I know that I must re-evaluate my commitment to my movie-watching/blogging project. I've gotten the good advice before, "if something's not working, change it until it works for you." "Nothing is permanent so always expect that there will be changes." And this is just me saying even the Constitution of the United States has Amendments. So, here I am, making adjustments to my plan of action in the interest of getting all I can out of my class this term. I've decided to watch a movie and blog about it 4 days per week and have 3 days off. My schedule will now be to watch a movie every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I will have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off from movie-watching going forward.

The other crazy thing that happened last night is that the movie I was planning on watching was suddenly not available to me! I always plan a few movies ahead so that I know in advance what I'll be watching and I use Netflix to get access to all of my movies. Some movies are available instantly via the web so I don't have to get the dvd in the mail. The movie I was planning on watching last night was available instantly as far as I knew all the way up until I came home from class. I went to look for it in my list and, to my surprise, it was gone! I was panicked! My whole list of future movies I had planned was thrown off! And I was already wiped from class! So, I reorganized and came up with a new plan and last night, I ended up watching Last Chance Harvey. By the time the movie was over, I didn't have the time or energy to write about it, so here I am.

My link from Love Actually to Last Chance Harvey was Emma Thompson. My heart aches for both of the characters she plays in both movies. As far as the movie, Last Chance Harvey, goes, it was really only okay. I don’t wish I had the two hours of my life back or anything, but it wasn't fantastic. It was a typical romantic comedy, and, I’m about to spoil it for you, everything works out just right in the end. I don’t highly recommend that anyone watch it, but if you’re looking for something romantic and entertaining, and you have a couple of lazy hours, it’s worth watching. Both Emma Thompson’s character and Dustin Hoffman’s character start out in just really agonizing, painful to watch, sad situations. It’s obvious that the movie wants you to be sad for them, and I was. But then everything falls into place and they’re both better people somehow by the end of the movie. Something that I noticed in this movie that bothers me about a lot of other movies in the last 10 years or so is the “movie montage”. It’s an event that allows for a series of scenes in which someone is trying on a bunch of different dresses or outfits until they finally come out of the dressing room looking fabulous. It’s usually accompanied by upbeat music. I’m over the movie montage and movies need to stop using them! When have you ever tried on 10 ridiculous, completely different styled dresses, and then finally decided, “oh, I know, I’ll try on the beautiful black evening gown, maybe that will look nice?” And there’s always someone watching to give the thumbs up or a goofy expression. So silly! I may just have my own movie montage this weekend to see why these keep showing up in my movies! My husband will be so excited! Thumbs up sweetie!

Given that I watched a movie last night and I blogged about it tonight, I’m going to go ahead and take tomorrow off. I’ll plan on watching the next movie and blogging about it on Friday night. After a fun-filled night in the city of course! I do have a life! Big news! Friday’s movie will be my second Kevin Bacon movie!! (As long as it’s still instantly viewable, Netflix!)

No comments:

Post a Comment